Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rock of Ages.

Recently went to go watch Rock of Ages the other day with a friend.



I didn't really want to go see it... but the other movies sucked so bad that we decided that we might as well. So off we went, with neutral minds.

Which honestly made this movie very interesting. I had seen the previews for it, and it didn't really seem to interest me. I'm not sure why... I love 80's music, I love Russell Brand, I love rock 'n roll, the lead lover (Diego something-of-the-other... it started with a "B" ha.) was insanely attractive, but I just didn't have any desire at all to go see it.

So we're sitting there, and the movie starts and I'm thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh, are you freaking kidding me? This is so cheesy!" I really disliked the beginning. I didn't hate it. It didn't suck that bad. I just was bored with it. It didn't do much for me. So cliched... small town girl, moving away from her home to hit it big in another city that's just vicious and mean. And of course Mr. Hottie has to come along to help her out.

Just not that interesting.

But then, the middle became very interesting. A little more humorous, with some better numbers in there. The characters started to build and really come to life.

I really began to enjoy myself. It's as if the writer just took one giant chill pill and let it flow. It wasn't forced. The actors played it off beautifully.

And of course the ending was great.

So all in all, I would have to say that I enjoyed the movie. I'm happy that I went, but I wouldn't go to the theaters to see it again.

Some criticism that I did have, that really and honestly just irked me, was the fact that Catherine Zeta-Jones, a beautiful, sexy, talented woman, was made up all dowdy and given only one musical number of her own? What is that? I was very disappointed.

I was also not impressed with Tom Cruise as Stacie Jaxx.
.... For obvious reasons.

When you think of a hardcore, drunk, difficult rocker, your mind does not jump straight to Tom Cruise. My friend and I decided that Johnny Depp would've made a much better Stacie Jaxx, for reasons of, but not limited to:

  • Attractiveness
  • Talent
  • Ability to play a drunk man
  • Just attractiveness
  • The fact that he is more hardcore than freaking Tom Cruise!
So anyways, for what it's worth, there is my opinion. Yay!

(:


Picture from: some website that was causing pop ups on my computer, therefore does not get proper citation. Sorry website. Control your pop ups and we'll talk.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a huge fan of 80's music, but I can easily say that this flick had me tapping my toes and singing along to just about every jam. The story itself was weak, but whenever they focused on the music and Tom Cruise, the film won me over. Nice review Paige.

    ReplyDelete